Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Snow!

It was blustery outside today. My day started out decent, as in it wasn't snowing when I started out for school. I took this picture on my way to school because I saw some cloud formations that I thought I could recognize in my field guide to weather:

It is hard to see, but you can see some lines of cloud in the middle of the picture, down the road. I found in my guide, that these are called Stratocumulus undulatus clouds (I think). The National Audbon Society field guide to weather states that these clouds " represent saturation near the surface of the ground... [often are] travelling with large weather systems such as warm or cold fronts."(459)

Since that picture it began snowing consistantly and is windy, there is poor visibility.

Yesterday I predicted more snow because of a cold front coming in from the north, which can be seen in last post's weather.com picture. The clouds this morning confirmed that prediction as they can travel with cold fronts! kinda neat.

Here are today's stats as of 2:42pm:

Temperature: 19.4°F
Wind: 1.6 mph to the SE
Dewpoint 13°F
Humidity: 75%

Today's weather.com picture shows a stationary warm and cold front. I am guessing that this weather system will continue into tomorrow, so possibly more snow and low temperatures.




No comments:

Post a Comment